Church History and Milestones
Greenview First Baptist Church had its beginning in the early 1950’s when the Reverend Freeman of Chapin, South Carolina, contacted Mr. David Abney to discuss organizing and building a church in the Greenview community. After several services held in the Abney’s home, Reverend Freeman discontinued his work with the group.
Approximately one year later, efforts were continued with Rev J.W. Davis. On Easter Sunday in 1952, Sunrise Service was held on a vacant lot on Wilkes Road under the leadership of Rev. Davis. From 1952 until 1953 services were held in the Cooper Building.
On October 19, 1953, Greenview First Baptist was chartered by the State of South Carolina for the purpose of operating as a church in accordance with the Baptist faith. The Executive Board of the Gethsemane Association organized Greenview First Baptist Church on December 29, 1953. The groundbreaking service for the original building was held on the First Sunday in January 1953. The first service in the new building was held January 24, 1954. Reverend J.W. Davis served as the first pastor until January 1959.
Reverend Rufus A. Brown was the second pastor serving from April 1959 through May 1985. Under Reverend Brown’s leadership the church grew financially, in spiritual maturity, ministries and membership. The church building as expanded to include a separate Educational building. In 1970 ground was broken for a larger sanctuary. The new sanctuary was dedication in March 1971.
Reverend Larry C. Weston served as the third pastor after initially serving as Interim Pastor for eight months. He served from March 31, 1986 until February 1989. During his leadership, the church membership increased significantly, several new auxiliaries and ministries were organized. During this time physical changes occurred to the edifice such as expansion of the fellowship hall, the parking lot was paved, new carpet and padded seats were installed on the wooden pews.
Reverend Rufus Mosby served as Interim Pastor following the departure of Reverend Weston. Reverend Mosby served from March 1989 through September 1990.
Reverend Michael W. Evans served as the fourth Pastor. He served from September 1990 through June 1998. Under his leadership the church began the 8:00AM Morning Service. Following his departure, Reverend Rufus Mosby served as Interim Pastor for a second term from June 1998 through August 1999.
Under the leadership of the current Pastor, the Reverend Johnny Cephas Owens, Jr., who began his service in August 1999, Greenview First Baptist Church looks forward to its continuation as a place for spiritual mediation and guidance for Christian living for all who seek the Lord.